Monday, September 2, 2013

Building a Home: weeks 4 & 5

When we first started talking about building, I was adamant that I didn't want to build. My brother and sister n' law had built a house when I was in high school. I remember them having to decide on details of the kitchen or the molding and so on. Many hours were spent in Home Depot staring and comparing faucets and sinks. I also thought about the stigma that it is very trying on a marriage. (You know, they always say if a marriage can withstand building then it can get through anything.) And then...I worried about the hidden costs and overages that can incur.

After searching houses and neighborhoods, I slowly started easing into the idea. I know God answered many prayers in which we asked for direction and peace about what we should do. Considering the time and work it takes to renovate a house, I really didn't want to get a fixer-upper again. I love seeing the results of the labor you put into fixing up a house, but with three kids, football, jobs and just life in general; I hated to get into that situation again. Tyler was thinking right along the same lines and had no fear of building.

Fast forward to now, we are building! Yes, I know that has already been stated and expanded on! However, I still have to say it to really believe it! Tyler and I frequently look at each other and say "Honey, we are really building a house." Its just surreal to us to have finally made a decision and be one step closer to our own home. As well, I can't believe how different from my preconceived ideas building has been. We made a lot of decisions earlier in the summer and don't have to think about the details. Decisions were smooth since our building company has options grouped together. So when you choose lights you are mainly choosing the color or finish only. If you have a special light fixture in mind, it can be substituted easily but not required. I loooooved that since I can be very indecisive. It was nice to have less options to consider. In other words, I am glad God changed my thoughts on building and I do think Tyler and I will still be married at the end of this process. :)

Now, less talking and more pictures!

We left off having the block foundation completed at the end of week 3. At the beginning of week 4, we had some rain that slowed work a little. But on Friday the framers came and worked thru the weekend. We were shocked to see how quick they move! By midday Saturday, you could "walk" into the first floor of our home!



We went back on Sunday and the outside board had been put up. And we toured the house; staring blankly trying to soak it all in!


End of week 4 picture:



The next week, work continued on the second floor and completing the details of the first. We found a couple changes that needed to be made. Its hard to see it all on paper, but in 3d you quickly notice the space here and post there.

The kids of course are ecstatic every time we pull up and it looks different to them. They love running around and have already discovered their racing path in the house!


(Garyn in front of our bay window in the eating area)


I think Layne is worn out from touring!


The porch is added!

Our family room view when standing in the playroom.
 


The foyer, stairs and office area


 

 

  The eating area and kitchen view from the family room
 
Ansley's room

Kids bath....window is too big and will be changed, I guess, so imagine it a foot smaller in width and height.

Garyns room (sorry its blurry)

Layne's room

Our bathtub will be there. Window is size the other bath window should be

Master bedroom


And I had to take a picture of our name on the roof framing. Thought that was cool :)

So at the end of week 5 our house looks like a home! Well, it needs a little more work,well maybe a lot but I just feel its getting close!



(oh & remember there are 4 windows and a door going across front bottom to mirror second level.)
 
We are feeling so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails