Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Birthdays and dreams come true!

Tyler and I have birthday's one month apart, 10-12 and 11-12, born in the same year. I always thought that was neat. We celebrated both with dinner out on our own and then dinner with his family. These are pics of Tyler's birthday dinner...





I didn't get any pics at my birthday dinner, but it would have looked much the same! We both enjoyed our days and still can't believe we are 26.
So I made a little dream of mine come true today. I made some extra dinners to freeze and hope to do a couple more tomorrow while getting things ready for Thanksgiving.
Here are pics from today, I made my favorite casserole, Mexican Chicken. I love that it is: good, has veggies, and everyone likes it in the family!! I often give it as a new-mommy dinner for friends that don't have time to cook while caring for their new baby.


Here are all the cans of veggies and beans that I strain.....









Then I add cheese, sour cream, rice and salsa to the mix. After cooking chicken breasts (from my cheap chicken sale!), I shred/cut it and add it in. Then put it in a casserole dish, cook it and serve with chips, salsa, and/or sour cream. Occasionally, Tyler will roll it up in a tortilla.
Also, if you know Tyler, you know he is a picky eater. Well, he is making huge strides! Tonight, at the dinner table, he said "Honey, I need to apologize to you." I thought "ok wonder what this is about" but knowing Tyler wasn't alarmed since he typically begins a conversation this way.
He then said, "You're right, you can't taste the tomatoes." I looked at his plate and there was not a little pile of tomatoes like there normally is!

I made ours for tonight and these two extra. Felt pretty good about my start to freezing meals!
Sadly, we lost the game Friday. It was a good game, 13-14, our extra point got blocked in the last 40 secs of the game. It was a good season, though. Here is Garyn ringing some bells, it was pretty cute!










Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
Full Recipe for Chicken Mexican Casserole...
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can rotel
1 can black beans
optional can of corn
1 cup minute rice
3 cooked/shredded chicken breasts (sometime I boil, sometimes I microwave)
2 cups cheese (can add more if like it cheesy)
8-12 oz of sour cream
8-12 oz salsa (can spice it up more if desired)
wash and drain all the canned items
mix everything else in with veggies
cook in a dish for 30-45 minutes on 375 covered with aluminum foil
then take off foil and cook another 10-15
serve with tortilla chips, salsa, and/or sour cream
(note: variation in time depends on how much you strain everything, you don't want it soupy, so may need to cook longer. Also, we can not ever eat a whole one, so I typically divide it into two smaller dishes and freeze or give-away one)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails