Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Garyn's 6!

My first born is 6! {Makes me feel a little old really!}




I can't imagine not having him though and can't help but reflect on how much he has changed and grown. Also, makes me think of how much Tyler and I have too because of him. We like to call Garyn our gentle giant. He is very tender hearted and conscious of how his actions affect others. At the same time, he is big for his age and obviously biggest of our children. He is stronger than he thinks and can unintentionally hurt us when we are playing. He usually starts apologizing right away. Can't you tell by this picture.....



He is obviously such a good big brother. He wants to make Ansley happy when she's upset; he doesn't like for her to get in trouble much; and he always helps me with her. He does argue with her some and gets tired of her fussing or messing his stuff up. I can't blame him sometimes! Even as frustrated as he gets, quickly, he forgets all that and starts calling her "pretty girl!" I can't wait to see how he does with Layne; I know he'll be just as sweet.


Garyn is still a homebody and unsure of doing new things away from us. We really fight with him about dropping him off places that are new or we haven't been to in awhile. He starts whining and being uncooperative which turns into crying sometimes. Once he gets used to a school or a church class, he does better and only complains occasionally. I dread Kindergarten! I really hope he likes his teacher and classmates. We'll get through it though. This was a major reason for keeping him out of school last year. While he still fusses, he has matured a lot over the past year emotionally. He has gotten better about using his words rather than actions.



Having said that, we are having a lot of interesting conversations lately with Garyn. He wants to know details about things. He got stung by a yellow jacket recently and wanted to know all about why they have stingers and where do they live. Then we got started on bees and how they make honey. After awhile, he'll bring it up again with more questions he thought of. He is also beginning to play more advanced games like Uno and checkers. He begins by planning out who all is going to play and writing every one's name out. He will even talk about what snacks we are going to have during our game. We have sport's nights were we play bowling, soccer, maybe golf, then Uno or something. He has also gotten more conscious of time and the calendar. He wants to schedule when such events will happen. He wants to see what we have written on the calendar and countdown the days or write things he thinks are important, too. We have put a clock in his room now, too, after he started going to early workouts with Tyler. We had a couple of long but amusing nights before that were he kept getting up and coming to ask if it was time for him to go with daddy to football practice. Now, he knows to stay in bed until 6 and then he can get up and start getting ready to go. The anticipation just wakes him up all through the night. Tyler did this same thing when he was younger! 

He and some of his friends (plus one of Ansley's friends)


Garyn can be so easy going and just likes to hang out with you. He has a way of just making you feel warm and loved by being next to you. Mainly because he is normally attached to your hip telling you how much he loves you or likes doing things with you. He knows how to melt my heart. It may be my hormones, lately. Many times he has talked about how glad he is I have Layne in my belly. Another time, we were at his school playground just looking at what all he will be able to do in Kindergarten (and because I ran out of gas....different story). After we talked about how fun it'll be; I asked if he would try to come without crying and complaining. He leaned in with his head on my shoulder and said "I'll try momma, but I'll just miss you." I melted. I love our conversations and know they are only going to get more in depth and interesting as he gets older.


Garyn's favorites right now are Star Wars and Angry Bird Star Wars. He is watching movies more and playing less Wii. Yes, I said he is playing less Wii. He has gone about 3 years strong of loving Wii and now I honestly can't remember when he played last. I'm sure he'll go through phases and it'll come back around but it has been the longest stretch for us to not play nightly! He still loves to go play outside pretending all different scenarios. He has gotten Ansley involved more lately; playing restaurant and sword fighting with her.


We had his birthday party at a bowling alley, as you can tell from the pictures. He was so excited about all who were coming and that we were going to play bowling with a lot of people. We had a great turnout and I thought it went well. I was glad, too, that Layne held off so that I could be there!

(Checking out his presents)
 
I can't say enough about this little guy and how much he means to us. We are grateful to be his parents and watch him grow. I just wish it would slow down a notch or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails